The Sustainability Committee has two main goals, we:
- Review technical practices conducted by wastewater treatment and collection facilities in New England
- Disseminate information regarding sustainable planning, design, construction, and operation of wastewater treatment and collection systems
The NEWEA Sustainability Committee is a medium size committee, with a diverse collection of typically 15-30 members. We liaison closely with other NEWEA committees and we are part of the Collection System & Water Resource Council.
Courtney Eaton, Chair
Robert Montenegro, Vice Chair
What does the Sustainability Committee do?
- Researches, reviews and recommends sustainable solutions for wastewater treatment and collection systems
- Encourages the transformation of wastewater collection and treatment systems into “resource recovery systems” that use less water, chemicals, energy, manpower, construction and O&M materials, capital costs and footprint, as well as reuse more water, produce more energy and recover more nutrients/biosolids/fertilizer in a way that achieves high economic value, is operator friendly, regulatory compliant, technically reliable and flexible, environmentally friendly and socially acceptable
- Educates other NEWEA committees on triple bottom line plus (TBL+), a framework for evaluating the sustainability of wastewater collection and treatment systems based on their environmental, economic, social and technical performance
- Collaborates with other NEWEA committees to increase sustainability of Association activities
- Awards the Green Steps Award annually
How often do we meet?
- At the Annual Conference
- At other committee’s speciality conferences (1-2 per year)
- Prep meetings for our own speciality conference (every 2-3 years)
- Quarterly conference calls
Why should you join us?
- Expand upon your professional skill set – we look for technical, communication, and/or management experts, as well as anyone willing to learn new skills
- Leverage your expertise – we need people who are experts to write policy and educate others
- Committee is forward-thinking and integrates with most other committees
See what we’ve accomplished.