Contaminants of Emerging Concern Committee
Microconstituents are natural and manmade substances, including elements and inorganic and organic chemicals, detected within water and the environment for which a prudent course of action is suggested for the continued assessment of the potential impacts on human health and the environment. Frequently mentioned contaminants of emerging concern include pharmaceutical and personal care products, pesticides, nanomaterials, and industrial chemicals.
The mission of the Contaminants of Emerging Concern Committee is to organize and promote activities that will increase awareness of contaminants in the environment by exchanging and conveying information on the variety of aspects, such as their occurrence, fate, transport, treatment, analytical requirements, human health and aquatic impacts, and public education and awareness and to assess the regulatory impacts on the water environment profession. In addition to the regulated community and other stakeholders, committee membership should include regulatory and governmental representatives throughout the New England region. Learn More
Janine Burke-Wells, Chair
Phone: (603) 323-7654
Laurel Schaider, Vice Chair
Phone: (617) 332-4288
What does the Contaminants of Emerging Concern Committee do?
- Track changes in federal and New England state CECs policies, guidelines, and regulations
- Recruit technical papers for presentation at Association meetings and to coordinate with the Program Committee to develop technical sessions at the Annual Conference or Spring Meeting
- Disseminate information related to CECs regulations, legislation, policies, or guidelines to Association members
- Provide a forum for the exchange of information on issues related to CECs.
How often do we meet?
Why should you join us?
- To stay up-to-date on emerging CECs and research, regulations and removal technologies.
See what we’ve accomplished.
- Organizing educational sessions for the Annual Conference and Spring Meeting.
- Currently collaborating with the Innovation Council on a series of webinars on innovative CEC removal technologies.