The Energy Committee has three main goals, we:
- Lead NEWEA’s policies on energy use and on-site generation
- Provide information to NEWEA members and the general public on the technical and regulatory aspects of energy use and conservation, including greenhouse gas emissions
- Provide a forum for NEWEA members to share their “lessons learned” from energy projects they have undertaken
The energy field includes an incredibly diverse set of disciplines and the committee’s topics have ranged from basic matters such as understanding a facility’s electric bill to more complex approaches such as energy bench-marking, biomass energy production, efficiency upgrades and carbon foot-printing. NEWEA’s Energy Committee serves as an outreach group, enhancing knowledge of its members and others in the energy field. Outreach activities consist of strong participation in the NEWEA Annual Conference as well as successful development of energy-related specialty conferences.
Join us today! Apply online >>
Tracy Chouinard, Chair
Dave Michelsen, Vice Chair
What does the Energy Committee do?
- Develop Association policies and positions on legislative and regulatory initiatives related to energy
- Disseminate information including proposed and promulgated rules, regulations, and policies
- Provide a forum for the exchange of information on issues related to energy, including energy use, energy efficient equipment and practices, on-site renewable energy production, and greenhouse gas emissions
- Recruit papers for presentation at Association meetings and coordinate with Program Committee on development of technical sessions
- Coordinate with the Federation’s Sustainability Community of Practice as well as with state and regional associations interested in energy.
How often do we meet?
- On average, conference calls 2-3 times per year, at least one session at the Annual Conference, and a specialty conference every two years
Why should you join us?
You are interested in learning and sharing experiences and information regarding:
- Energy conservation
- Zero Net Energy facilities
- Renewable energy
- Energy regulations
- Integrating energy planning into plant design and rehabilitation
- Potential funding opportunities
See what we’ve accomplished.
- Held a two-day joint conference with Asset Management Committee on April 11-12, 2018 in Merrimack, NH about Energy Efficiency & Asset Management.
- Held a wildly successful specialty conference with the Sustainability Committee in the Spring of 2014, titled ” Nutrients and Energy, Moving Toward Sustainability”, covering such topics as Local Plant Upgrades for Nutrient Removal, Roadmap to Sustainability –Net Zero and Resource Recovery, and Sustainability Considerations in Plant Design, among others
- Provide at least one energy related session at the annual NEWEA Conferences
- Present, annually,the Energy Management Achievement award