STUDENT DESIGN COMPETITION
The NEWEA Student Design Competition promotes “real world” design experience for students interested in water engineering and sciences. This competition tasks teams of student members within NEWEA to design and present a program meeting the requirements of a problem statement that they have worked on together as a team. This is intended for both undergraduate and graduate students, typically completing a capstone project. The winning teams from each category will compete at the national WEFTEC competition.
- Wastewater Design (e.g. hydraulic capacity design, upgrades to existing systems, biosolids handling, etc.)
- Environmental Design (e.g. sustainability, water reuse, wetlands construction, etc.)
Students are expected to work together as a team to recommend a solution with little assistance from an advisor/professor. The competition will consist of a written report and final presentation.
ENTRY AND PARTICIPATION FORMS
Each team shall submit an entry form and team participation form for the competition. One university is permitted to send up to two teams to the competition, one in each category (wastewater and environmental). There is no entry fee to participate.
Official Entry Form >> Submit prior to March 3, 2017
Team Participation Form >> Submit prior to April 14, 2017
The competition will be held in early May and will be open to the public. Watch for more information.
The first place winners in the Wastewater Design and the Environmental Design categories will receive the NEWEA Student Activities Award ($600) and travel allowance to compete at the WEFTEC Student Design Competition in September 2017 in Chicago, IL.
*first place teams are required to present at WEF
SIGNIFICANT SUBMITTAL ITEMS AND DATES
- Official Entry Form shall be submitted no later than 11:59 pm on March 3, 2017.
- Team Participation Form shall be submitted no later than 11:59 pm on April 14, 2017.
- Student resumes shall be submitted no later than 11:59 pm on April 24, 2017. Late resumes will not be accepted.
- A project written data submittal (“report”) must be received no later than 11:59 pm on April 24, 2017.
- The competition will take place in early May.
- All forms, resumes, and reports must be sent to Annalisa Onnis-Hayden, Student Activities Chair prior to the deadlines listed.
SPONSORSHIPS & MENTORSHIP
Your firms involvement is greatly appreciated and ensures the sustainability of this important program.
Sponsorship: Firms (Facility/Utility/Consultant) are encouraged to sponsor the Student Design Competition. The participating firm provides the problem statement for the competition, participate in the project plan, final design reviews, judging, and provides a monetary prize for the winning team.
Mentorship: Firms (Facility/Utility/Consultant) are encouraged to mentor the Student Design Competition. The participating firm provides the problem statement for the competition, participates in the project plan, final design reviews, and judging.
View the 2017 Sponsorship form for student engagement opportunities >>
Please contact the NEWEA office if your organization is interested in being a sponsor. All sponsors will be recognized during the course of the SDC program.
QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS
Please contact: Annalisa Onnis-Hayden, Northeastern University, 360 Huntington Ave, 400 SN, Boston, MA 02115; phone: 617-373-2005 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Good luck! Thank you for your interest and support!