Innovative/Alternative Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems Task Force Resources
The I/A OWTS Task Force works to accelerate new parcel and cluster level OWTS technologies into the market, targeting Nitrogen effluent levels of <12 mg/L. We are collaborating with US EPA Southeast New England Program (SNEP) which includes Rhode Island, the Massachusetts South Coast, and the islands of Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Block Island. Ultimately, these systems will have applicability to all New England and beyond.
Please refer to NEWEA’s Calendar for upcoming Innovation Events and to register.
Past Events/Recent Postings
- Molyneaux Home Presentations 9.27.23: Context, Case Studies and Financial Impact
- Title 5 Amendments and Watershed Permit Regulations for Nitrogen Sensitive Areas (NSAs), Promulgated 7/7/23 with comments and FAQs.
- Phosphorus – A challenge for freshwater ponds.
- Innovation Pavilion Presentation with Speaker Notes, I/A Update, 1/24/23
- NEWEA Journal Article, January 2023 – I/A OWTS Task Force Update— Exercises in Collaboration
- I/A Septic Systems Funding and Financing Webinar, May 3, 2022 – Watch Video or View Presentations
- Annual Conference Charrette on I/A OWTS O,M&M (RME)
- I/A Onsite Wastewater Treatment Technology Webinars
- January 11, 2022 – Orenco, BioMicrobics, JDL – Watch Video or View Presentations
- December 14, 2021 – FujiClean, Hydro-Action, Verified Water (N sensor) – Watch Video or View Presentations
- November 16, 2021 – Nitrex (Lombardo), Nitroe (KleanTu), Layercake – Watch Video or View Presentations
- View Technology Comparison Chart for each company below:
- Update on a New Generation of Enhanced I/A Septic Systems Webinar, September 15, 2021 – Watch Video or View Presentations
- Distributed Nitrogen Removing Innovation/Alternative (I/A) Septic Systems Webinar, November 17, 2020 – Watch Video
- See more past innovation events >>
University of Rhode Island Onsite Wastewater Resource Center – https://web.uri.edu/owt/
SNEP 5 Year Plan Input 1-18-21 – http://www.newea.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Input-to-SNEP-5-Year-Plan-1-18-21.pdf
Barnstable County Septic Management Program (BCSMP) https://septic.barnstablecountyhealth.org/
MASSTC – https://www.masstc.org/
EPA RME Guidelines – https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi/20009NAM.PDF?Dockey=20009NAM.PDF
EPA Nitrogen Sensor Challenge:
Test Completion Press release https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/septic-nitrogen-sensor-successfully-completes-environmental-performance-testing
Stony Brook University Center for Clean Water Technology – https://www.stonybrook.edu/cleanwater/
Suffolk County, Long Island, NY – https://reclaimourwater.info/SepticImprovementProgram.aspx or https://reclaimourwater.info/technical.aspx