Innovative/Alternative Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems Task Force Resources
The I/A OWTS Task Force works to accelerate new parcel and cluster level OWTS technologies into the market, targeting Nitrogen effluent levels of <10-11 mg/L. We are collaborating with US EPA Southeast New England Program (SNEP) which includes Rhode Island, the Massachusetts South Coast, and the islands of Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard and Block Island. Ultimately, these systems will have applicability to all New England and beyond.
Please refer to NEWEA’s Calendar for upcoming Innovation Events and to register.
Past Events/Recent Postings
- NEWEA Journal Article, January 2023
- Title 5 Amendments and Watershed Permit Regulations for Nitrogen Sensitive Areas (NSAs)
- Comment period extended to 1/30/23. Official Notice
- Full details – 310 CMR 15.000: Septic Systems (“Title 5”) | Mass.gov
- Affected Area Map
- NSA Online Viewer with Address Lookup
- Public Hearings (remote register):
- January 24, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. Remote only.
- January 25, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. Remote only.
- Public Information Webinars (remote register):
- January 17, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. Remote Only.
- January 18, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. Remote & In Person at The Marketplace (second floor), UMass Dartmouth, 285 Old Westport Road, Dartmouth, MA, 02747. It is not necessary to register if you will be attending in-person.
- Yankee Onsite Wastewater Association (YOWA) Newsletter – I/A OWTS Update on Cape Cod – October 20, 2022
- MassDEP Website – Proposed Title 5 Expansion
- I/A Septic Systems Funding and Financing Webinar, May 3, 2022 – Watch Video or View Presentations
- Annual Conference Charrette on I/A OWTS O,M&M (RME)
- I/A Onsite Wastewater Treatment Technologies Webinar
- January 11, 2022 – Watch Video or View Presentations
- December 14, 2021 – Watch Video or View Presentations
- November 16, 2021 – Watch Video or View Presentations
- View Technology Comparison Chart for each company below:
- Update on a New Generation of Enhanced I/A Septic Systems Webinar, September 15, 2021 – Watch Video or View Presentations
- Distributed Nitrogen Removing Innovation/Alternative (I/A) Septic Systems Webinar, November 17, 2020 – Watch Video
- See more past innovation events >>
SNEP 5 Year Plan Input 1-18-21 – http://www.newea.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Input-to-SNEP-5-Year-Plan-1-18-21.pdf
Barnstable County Septic Management Program (BCSMP) https://septic.barnstablecountyhealth.org/
MASSTC – https://www.masstc.org/
EPA RME Guidelines – https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi/20009NAM.PDF?Dockey=20009NAM.PDF
EPA Nitrogen Sensor Challenge:
Test Completion Press release https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/septic-nitrogen-sensor-successfully-completes-environmental-performance-testing
Suffolk County, Long Island, NY – https://reclaimourwater.info/SepticImprovementProgram.aspx or https://reclaimourwater.info/technical.aspx