The NEWEA Congressional Briefing is the annual hallmark for the Association and its Government Affairs program. It is a great opportunity for our membership and elected officials to join together to discuss water quality and stormwater infrastructure issues facing communities in the Northeast. We look forward to meeting with you and providing you with the latest information affecting our industry. Your involvement is critical – come to D.C. and be heard!
Join us in Washington, D.C. April 25-26 for Water Week 2023
Join over 500 Water Colleagues in Washington, DC, for Water Week 2023, April 25-26, to connect with congressional offices and share your story on important water quality issues. Over the past two years, the water sector’s strong advocacy efforts have resulted in historical policy achievements and levels of federal funding passed into law that will have a positive lasting impact on countless communities across the country.
In culmination of these achievements, 2023 marks an exciting time for water professionals from around the country to gather in-person in DC to hear from policy makers about the implementation of these achievements, the outlook across Washington over the next year, and to jointly advocate the critical value and importance of ensuring all communities have safe, sustainable, reliable, and affordable water. Join the water sector at this pivotal juncture and help build upon this positive momentum with the Administration and Congress.
Together we can show Congress the power of NEWEA!
Here’s what you should do NOW to prepare for your Congressional trip:
- Mark your calendar for Tuesday and Wednesday, April 25 – 26, 2023
- Make travel reservations to DC (plane, train, car)
- Register as a NEWEA attendee so the state directors can coordinate on visits. There will also be an option to participate in the NEWEA Tuesday night Dutch Treat Dinner: https://www.newea.org/register/ Registration Deadline: Thursday April 13, 2023, Detailed Agenda is here: (http://www.newea.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/NEWEA-DC-Fly-In-Agenda-2023.pdf)
- Reserve your hotel by Monday April 3rd — There is a room block at the Hilton Washington DC National Mall The Wharf, 480 L’Enfant Plaza SW, Washington, DC 20024 or ONLINE: https://www.waterweek.us/reghotelinfo/. Group Code: NAC23
- Work with your State Liaison to contact your State Senators and Representatives to set up meetings at their Capitol Hill offices (see below to find your State Association Liaison and links to find your State Senators and Representatives).
Attending the briefing will allow:
- Opportunities to meet with Senators, Representatives, and legislative staff;
- Substantive discussion of federal clean water legislative initiatives and opportunities to provide feedback related to the impact that these initiatives have on our communities and the water quality industry;
- A forum for presentation and discussion of the NEWEA Position statements;
- Opportunities to learn about key federal regulatory initiatives; and
- A forum to provide comments directly to regulatory leaders form EPA’s Washington, DC Headquarters
Please refer to the Advocacy Toolkit, created by NEWEA’s Government Affairs Committee, to learn more about how you can become more involved with engaging elected officials and the public on important water issues. View Toolkit >>
CONTACT YOUR STATE LIAISON
Connecticut – Virgil Lloyd or Vanessa McPherson
Maine – Paula Drouin
Massachusetts – John Digiacomo or Ray Willis
New Hampshire – Shelagh Connelly or Michael Trainque
Rhode Island – Edward Davies
Vermont – Bob Fischer or Michael Smith
FIND YOUR SENATOR AND REPRESENTATIVE
Check out’s WEF Water Week at https://www.wef.org/topics/practice-areas/government-and-regulatory-affairs/water-week/
Have questions? Call:
NEWEA Executive Director, Mary Barry at 781-939-0908
NEWEA Government Affairs Committee Chair, Jeff McBurnie at 207-347-3618