The NEWEA Congressional Briefing is the annual hallmark for the Association and its Government Affairs program. It is a great opportunity for our membership and elected officials to join together to discuss water quality and stormwater infrastructure issues facing communities in the Northeast. We look forward to meeting with you and providing you with the latest information affecting our industry. Your involvement is critical – come to D.C. and be heard!
Attending the briefing will allow:
- Opportunities to meet with Senators, Representatives, and legislative staff;
- Substantive discussion of federal clean water legislative initiatives and provide feedback related to the impact that these initiatives have on our communities and the water quality industry;
- A forum for presentation and discussion of the NEWEA Position statements;
- Opportunities to learn about key federal regulatory initiatives; and
- A forum to provide comments directly to regulatory leaders form EPA’s Washington, DC Headquarters
Join NEWEA at the National Water Policy Fly-In
Water Week, April 3-4, 2019
Come to the Capitol to join with WEF, NACWA, WRF and other national organizations to support water quality and to dialog with Congressional representatives from the New England states.
We’re at a critical juncture for the clean water industry!
On the plus side, President Trump and the new House of Representatives have indicated strong support for investments in infrastructure
- Will our water and wastewater systems receive critically needed funding?
- Will the Clean Water State Revolving Fund continue unscathed, and how will New England’s share be affected?
On the uncertainty side, we expect the EPA to continue to look very different in 2019
- How will water policies change under the new administration?
- What are the water environment focuses for the 117th Congress?
The NEWEA Government Affairs Committee has a state liaison for each of the six New England States. Each liaison will work with attendees from their state to organize meetings and will summarize key issues related to these topics in advance of your trip to Washington. The summary will give you background information and talking points for you to use durning your meeting with federal legislators.
AGENDA AT A GLANCE
Wednesday – April 3rd
- 11:00 – 1:30 NEWEA Kick off Lunch — speakers will cover major water developments in Washington, tips for elected congressional meetings and review NEWEA/NEWWA Talking Points @ 2075 Rayburn House Office Building Room 2060
- 1:30 – 5:00 Meetings with Senators, Representatives and aides on Capitol Hill
- 6:00 – 7:30 National Water Policy Fly-In Reception on Capitol Hill
- 7:30 – 9:00 NEWEA Dutch Treat Dinner @Carmine’s
Thursday – April 4th
- 8:30 – 5:00 Meetings with Senators, Representatives and aides on Capitol Hill
- 5:30 – 7:00 National Water Policy Fly-In Closing Reception
GET PREPARED – CONTACT YOUR STATE LIAISON
FIND YOUR SENATOR AND REPRESENTATIVE
WHERE TO STAY
Book your stay for Water Week 2019 at the Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill. Please note, reservations are on a first-come, first-serve basis and may sell out before water week. Reservations must be made by Monday, March 11, 2019, to receive the negotiated rate. When booking, please identify yourself as an attendee of the National Water Policy Fly-In. If booking online, please use the group code: G-NAWC.
Hyatt Regency Washington
400 New Jersey Ave NW
Washington, DC 20001
Phone: (202) 737-1234
Check out’s WEF Water Week at https://www.wef.org/advocacy/water-week/
Have questions? Call: Bob Fischer (802-658-7964), Scott Firmin, (207-774-5961 Ext. 3077), Ray Willis (508-341-8570) or Mary Barry (781-939-0908)