The NEWEA Congressional Briefing is the annual hallmark for the Association and its Government Affairs program. It is a great opportunity for our membership and elected officials to join together to discuss water, wastewater, and stormwater infrastructure isses facing communities in the Northeast. We look forward to meeting with you and providing you with the latest information affecting our industry. Your involvement is critical – come to D.C. and be heard!
Attending the briefing will allow:
- Opportunities to meet with Senators, Representatives, and legislative staff;
- Substantive discussion of federal clean water legislative initiatives and provide feedback related to the impact that these initiatives have on our communities and the water quality industry;
- A forum for presentation and discussion of the NEWEA Position statements;
- Opportunities to learn about key federal regulatory initiatives; and
- A forum to provide comments directly to regulatory leaders form EPA’s Washington, DC Headquarters
In addition to the Briefing Breakfast, an important part of this day is holding individual and group meetings with Senators and Representative on the Hill. If you plan to attend the Briefing, the Government Affairs Committee will work with you to schedule these individual appointments.
March 21-22, 2017 – Washington, DC
Come to the Capitol to join with WEF, NACWA, AWWA, WERF and other organizations to support water quality and to dialog with Congressional representatives from the New England states.
This year’s Congressional trip will be different and more succinct than past NEWEA trips to DC.
Agenda: Tuesday, March 21, 2017
11:00 – 1:00 NEWEA Kickoff Luncheon, Cannon House Office Building, Room 121 (Register)
Speakers will cover major water developments in Washington, tips for effective Congressional meetings and review NEWEA’s talking points.
1:00 – 5:00 Meetings with Senators, Representatives and Aides on Capitol Hill
2:00 – 5:00 WEF/NACWA Fly-In Plenary Sessions (Separate WEF registration required)
5:30 – 6:00 WEF/NACWA Welcoming Reception, Washington Marriott Georgetown
7:00 – NEWEA Dutch Treat Dinner (Register), Teddy & The Bully Bar (3 blocks from hotel)
Agenda: Wednesday, March 22, 2017
8:00 – 10:00 Continue with Congressional Visits
8:00 – 9:30 WEF/NACWA Fly-In Congressional Breakfast (Separate WEF registration required)
10:30 – 12:00 National Water Week Rally on the Hill, Capitol Grounds
12:00 – 4:30 Congressional Office Visits
3:00 – 6:30 Congressional Water Infrastructure and Innovation Expo, Location TBD
5:00 – 6:30 Water Week Capitol Hill Reception, 902 Hart Senate Office Bldg.
The Government Affairs Committee will be summarizing the key issues related to these topics in advance of the trip to Washington to give you background information and provide talking points to use when you speak with federal legislators.
Here’s what you should do NOW to prepare for your Congressional trip:
- Mark your Calendar for March 21-22, 2017
- Reserve a Room at the headquarters hotel – Washington Marriott Georgetown, 1221 22nd St NW. Call 800-393-3053 for reservations (ask for the NACWA room block) or ONLINE
- Make Travel Reservations (plane, train, car)
- Contact your state’s Senators and Representatives to set up meetings at their Capitol Hill offices. Each state is responsible for making these appointments through their state association – the NEWEA point people are: